I’ve been wanting to do something with leaves etc that I saved from last spring and summer and now that my eyes are on the mend I decided to try some mono printing. I have previously printed from natural objects that were glued to a base and ran through a press but I don’t currently have a press and I wanted to try various ways of using the same material more than once. These leaves have been sitting in a pile on my table all winter and finally ended up in a bag hanging from my bulletin board so the time had come.
First tests of monoprinting with plants
Some were used alone, some in combination with each other, and some repeated in the same print. I used a mix of red, green, and yellow inks as well as straight black. Some results are more successful than others but I really am excited about the whole process and may combine this with some of my rusty bit prints.
I love the look of these leaves after they were used for printing.
Here are the leaves I used (and the “helicopters” from the maple trees). Think they will have a future life as well!
Continued to work with Rusty Bits. Balancing the amount of tea and the effect of the various rusty bits. Have some wonderful diagonals from Jay and some wonderfully round rusty bolts from a pier in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia… I like the fact that I know where the bits came from and that they represent experiences and interactions to me.
Print from Rusty Bits and morning tea bag.
This piece has more textures than some and has wonderful fine lines which are more easly seen in the larger view.
Will post some more in the future. I love the fact that while I can adjust the tea and rust—even the type of paper makes a difference—the result is a wonderful surprise! I’m working on some stitched fabric that I can try with this—printing the rusty patterns after the stitching.
Been a very busy Spring Break! Finished the long warp, Worked on drawing each day, and just wrapped up a project I’ve been working on since last summer on eco dyeing with leaves etc.—little major gets done during the school year. The eco dying was done while I was dying fabric for “Stitches, not Words”, only it was on paper and also involved plant material.
I layered various leaves from my yard between pages of fairly heavy paper, bundled them up and dyed them in a pot over heat for an hour – let them cool for several days before opening the bundle. Very happy with the etherial result, on both sides of the paper.
The original idea was to make a small book but when I saw them I wanted to see them much larger. That’s when they went into a drawer with other ideas, waiting for a final solution. Sooooo, a bit ago I took them out and scanned them at a high resolution to be printed archivally at 18 in x 24 in. This one and two others are posted on my printmaking page
One of a series, more on my Printmaking page.
I’m really happy with the results and have entered 2 in different juried shows (not pieces shown here)—so we’ll see where this goes. I’m always nervous about entering work but regardless of the outcome there, I will be doing more of these – once school is out in May and once something grows in my snow covered yard!
My work (a photo etching titled ’Water and Grass’) on display in Finland in the exhibit, “Print the Midnight Sun” at Grafiikanpaja Aava. Very Exciting!
Even more exciting is that my work sold! Had to figure out how to transfer money etc – after lots of exploring, talking to banks and anyone who might listen, it turned out that Paypal is the best… Does this make me an international artist???
My print is the second one from the left!
When I came back from Finland I was ready for a new project but since I don’t have a press, and although there are places where I could rent time on a press, the way I work wanders about and as I work the work its self develops. So I decided to work with woodblocks. Been a while so there was a period of reacquainting my self with my tools. I wanted to work with images I took of the little wooden fishing boats pulled into every cove I saw.
Starting boats project
Once I tried the first image I cut 4 more and tested them, tested papers, tested myself… Once these are dry and I have had a chance to analyze them, then I will refine my cutting and more testing.
Today I did some more tests.
The final project is still evolving so…
Excited to have my print included in this exhibit, “Print the Midnight Sun”. I was really happy with the work I did in Finland and the work chosen, a photo etching titled “Water and Grass”, was one I felt captured my feelings about that part of Finland.